Start A Business Grow Your Business Sell to the Government 

I need help with certification!

Certification programs at the federal, state and local level are all geared to help small disadvantaged firms enjoy more opportunities to compete for contract dollars.  The key to picking the certifications that will benefit your company is to first determine which entities you want to do business with; then, find out which certification programs they recognize. 

With the exception of certain contracts that are “set aside” for only certified firms, you are not required to be certified to be eligible to bid on contracts.  However, being certified as a woman-owned, minority or otherwise disadvantaged business can give your company a competitive advantage. 

Federal contracting.

If you want to do business with the federal government or its large prime contractors, look at becoming certified as an 8(a) contractor or a Small Disadvantaged Business (SDB).  To find information about these programs, which are administered by the U.S. Small Business Administration, click here.  If your business is located in a distressed area, you might qualify for HUBZone certification.  To find out, click here.

Selling to the State of Texas.

If you want to sell to State of Texas agencies, apply for certification as a HUB, or Historically Underutilized Business, vendor.  The HUB program is administered by the Texas Building and Procurement Commission.  Application forms can be found here.  

Local governments.

Local entities such as the City of Houston also have certification programs.  Your city may offer a certification program as well - contact the city to inquire, or get in touch us at 979-244-8466 so that we can help you find an answer.